Tuesday, July 25, 2006

THE WORLD OF FREEDIVING
(Calvin took this picture from way down looking up at me)

What is free diving?

"Freediving or breath-hold diving is a type of advanced snorkeling and water adventure that allows enthusiastic men, women and youth to experience the sights, sounds and challenges of the most natural of underwater experiences. Human evolution and development has ingrained us with an underwater potential the same as our marine cousins, whales, seals and dolphins. Without the use of underwater breathing apparatus, freedivers on a single breath of air can explore the underwater realm for minutes at a time with relative comfort. Freediving is about the comfort and exploration of the ocean realm for recreation, spearfishing, competition or personal discovery. "
(quote from performance freediving website)








MY EXPERIENCE

A few years ago I participated in a freediving course after listening to Calvin's rants and raves about it. At first I was weirded out by the whole idea and didn't see the fun in suffering from lack of o2. I had many questions about safety and health as well. Of course one of them was "doesn't it kill brain cells?" After hearing all of Calvin's detailed explanations I thought I'd give it a try. Seeing what he was capable of really made me want to test out my limits to see if there was even a potential for me. Prior to the course I tried a test breath hold and was amazed at the timing on my first attempt which was 4:30! I couldn't believe it and right away I saw why the sport was so addicting. Shortly after I began taking the course (Performance Freediving by Kirk Krack) and learning the biology and science behind it all I felt very comfortable and assured. 75% of the course is focused purely on safety and spotting and that really put my mind at ease knowing that at all times I would have someone by my side.
My next few attempts at static's (underwater breath holds) were still within the 4:30 range. My record time reached 4:52 but I had some difficulty so it didn't qualify. My final attempt was in a regionals competition where I reached my average again. I was the only girl along with Mandye Rae (a world record freediver) so I guess I got second place in the womens..hehe! I could never seem to get past a certain point without having problems and figured I was at a peak. I decided to take what I learned and use it in other fun ways (such as freediving for underwater exploration).Challenging mylef with this sport taught me that what may seem impossible can be possible if you really put your mind and heart into it. I am thankful to have had the opportunity to train with world record freedivers who saw a lot of potential in me and pushed me to succeed. They are a wonderful team!

3 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Laura and Ryan said...

I've always found that so fascinating, Sharon. Good for you for going for it. Do you still go free diving from time to time?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Lisa's Diet said...

4:52pm Shaorn I don't know how you did that, I have a hard time holding my breath for the entire tunnel when I drive to Vancouver. Maybe you were a fish or a froggy in another life.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

It is cousin Teresa. I just found your blog site on Laura's. How fun to read what you are up to. Free diving sounds so cool. 4:30 seems rather long to me for a pre-course self test. Would you say you are naturally inclined to long breath holds or is that pretty average???

ARe you and Calvin still on your honey moon??? How long are you away for??


Teresa

greggteresa@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home